Why is the Daily Food Diary Important?
Writing down the foods you eat during the day is a proven method to promote weight loss and to help keep the weight off. It is a simple procedure that can help you understand your eating habits and target problem areas you may have. It is important to be honest with yourself when recording food items and amounts. The food journal can act like a mirror by revealing to you what goes into your body. It can be a very useful tool if done properly.
Studies show that a journal doesn’t just aid weight loss - it turbo-charges it. When researchers from Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research followed more than 2,000 dieters who were encouraged to record meals and snacks, they found that the single best predictor of whether a participant would drop weight was whether the person kept a food diary. It trumped exercise habits, age, and body mass index. The number of pounds people lost was directly related to the number of days they wrote in their log.
Here are some hints on Why your Food Diary is Important:
- The average dieter consumes up to 50% more food than reported. If you are held accountable you will be more successful
- Writing things down serves as a focusing device. It helps clients pay closer attention to detail
- It provides a mechanism to show you are on track
- Tracks patterns, which are essential in behavior modification and reveals hidden sabotages and trigger situations
- Supports portion control and planning nutritionally-balanced meals
Here are some Hints:
- Write as you go- Don't wait until the end of the day to record what you ate and drank. Carry your My Daily Diary with you, a notepad, your phone or computer
- Write down the exact serving size. Example ¼ cup ½ cup. Or weight
- Record your water and beverages
- Record when you take your supplements
Most important… BE HONEST with yourself!
Don't Like Writing Everything Done? Try the ITG Diet Health Trac App!
Track all of your foods, water and vitamins on the app from your cell phone or your laptop or computer! Click the link below to watch tutorial on how to use the Health Trac App! Email me directly at email@example.com to get set up!